Sinister: Re: When the World's at Peace

Ian Turton buffalo at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 12 12:38:46 GMT 1998

PJMiller wrote:

> Janine, you may be interested in wiggling your butt to the fabulous
> album "Hey Love" by Rotary Connection. It contains a song called
> "Hanging Round the Bee Tree" which is sung from the point of view of a
> humble worker bee who wants to get it on with the queen bee. He makes
> no explicit reference to the ensuing knob loss situation, but although
> it remains unspoken, I feel that this dilemna is what gives the song
> its peculiar dynamics.

Thank you Peter for reminding me to do my bi-annual search for re-released
Rotary Connection stuff. I'm sure you're aware they've just had a CD
released of 'their two most sought-after albums', 'Songs' and 'Hey Love'. Me
and my mate have been trying in vain to get hold of vinyl copies for yonks
ever since we heard 'I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun' on Kiss 100 a few years
back. Needless to say we were met with umpteen record-stall owner smirks.
For anyone interested (that should really be all of you), Rotary Connection
was fronted by the late Minnie Riperton, who had a massive hit with 'Loving
You' four or five years after these albums were released. For more info,
y'all try  http://www.acerecords.co.uk/gotrt/sept98/cdbgpd115.html

> I look forward to forming an opinion of Jack and Hefner based purely
> on their live performance, as I did a couple of weeks ago with boring
> bastard Mark Lanegan. I heard him on the radio the other night, and it
> turned out to be quite good after all.

Kool and the Gang. I was hoping you were going to retract that 'boring
bastard' tag. Lanegan's voice is awesome. Not many people can do full
justice to Charlie Rich's 'Feel Like Going Home', but Marky boy manages it
in spades on the Walkabout's album 'Satisfied Mind', where his voice comes
crawling and belching in halfway through. His band The Screaming Trees gave
us the album 'Sweet Oblivion' too. I don't listen to much straight-ahead
rock music, but this is a killer.

> May I draw your attention to a splendid portrait of Mad Dog Murdoch on
> the Mummy page? It was done by my lovely wife, as a tribute to Lesley
> Jo's adventures in Washington DC.

May I draw to everyone's attention to something I noticed some time last
year. I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere, but others may have.
Coincidence. honest.

Take a copy of Simon and Garfunkel's album 'Bridge Over Troubled Water',
preferably vinyl cos the picture's bigger. Starting from the bottom, slide
another album or CD upwards, until Paul Simon's eyes are just covered. And
hey, blow me if ol' Art Garfunkel doesn't have the most *massive* fucking
moustache.

B & S content ?  They'd have to be bloody ungrateful not to be..

Been so long, be so long,

Turt