Sinister: Blue moons, lyrics, smut, Velocette

Lucy Munro lucy.munro at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 12 13:33:07 GMT 1998

Um, no I'm not new or anything, I'm just very lazy and only get
around to mailing this list once in a very blue moon (considering the
smut that's around these days).

Has any one except me noticed the connection between Stuart M's
inability to rememeber song lyrics and the gradual drafting of more
and more people to sing instead of him?  Next stop, the Sinister male
voice choir...

Oh, and talking of smut, I've an experience that I feel I should
share with you - well, they say it's good to talk, so unburdening
myself on 700+ strangers must be a good thing, right?  (why are you
all looking at me in that strange way?)  As I walked into college
on Saturday through the Embankment Garden, as it's nicer than walking
up the Strand. At the top end, just before joining the road I was
looking at one of the statues, which always intrigues me -
a little mustached head on a plinth with a sorrowful nymph of some kind
leaning against the plinth in a distraught fashion, it's the smug
expression on his face that gets me - turned round and saw a man sat
under a bush, with no trousers on, and, um, pleasuring himself as
only men without trousers sat under bushes in the Embankment Gardens
can.  VERY strange.  I mean, he was obviously enjoying himself, from
the sound of things, but...  I hurried off, because I was worried
that he might speak to me (my friend Clare once had a bloke in a
similar position say to her "so, d'you like what you see?" - urgh!!!)
and then couldn't stop laughing because it seemed so unlikely.  Is he
a regular fixture?  Do the tourist buses point him out?  I haven't
been back to check.  Reminds me of an aunt of mine, who listened to a
heavy breather on the phone for a minute or so, then said "Well, if
that's the best you can do you're no good to me!" and put the phone
down.

Fluffy Sarah mentioned Velocette - yes, Get Yourself Together is
wonderful, and Spoiled Children isn't quite so great (and I don't
like the new one very much, they've sacked their drummer and seem to
have forgotten how to P!O!O!). But if you like Get Yourself Together,
try Hideaway and Strength by Comet Gain, which (at that time) was
Sarah, Sam, Jax and Phil (the aforementioned drummer) from Velocette
plus a shouty bloke called David.  There was a rather good Peel
session too (Velocette, that is) from the same sort of time as Get
Yourself Together.

Saint Lucy is the platonic ideal to whom we lesser Lucies aspire.

Lucy

Lucy Munro
lucy.munro at kcl.ac.uk