Sinister: A Chicago Bus Story

Heather Marie Propes asbuch at xxx.edu
Thu Nov 12 21:42:29 GMT 1998

I live in Berkeley and take the Bart. Will I ever
have an experience like Julie's in San Francisco? Maybe, but the story
did remind me of a similar bus ride in Chicago.

I first moved to Chicago in 1995 to get my master's degree in Art History
at the University of Chicago. For anyone who knows the area, the
University of Chicago is on the Southside, quite an interesting
neighborhood. Before I knew anything about Chicago transit and my
neighborhood (like the fact that it was an extremely bad idea to venture 1
mile in any direction), I used to take the #1 up to the City, via Cottage
Grove and lower Michigan Ave. We had an extremely exuberant, funny driver.
She would swerve around corners, yell at the drunk old men on the street
corners, and greet everyone who boarded with some sort of comment. One day
she told me,"You are the only white girl who ever gets on this bus," or
something like that. She was funny. During one ride I sat up in front with
her and advised her on her love life. She said she was sick of American
men and wanted a European boyfriend. I told her she ought to go to more
dance clubs.

http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/asbuch/index.htm#hometop

Heather Marie Propes   asbuch at midway.uchicago.edu