Sinister: E's makin' it up as 'e goes along!

Mark Crutch xav at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 12 21:52:00 GMT 1998

Well, it looks like I was a bit too late with my master plan to change my
name by deed poll to  Phillipe (2 Ls, 1 P) in order to get some crush votes
from people that can't spell. Maybe next time.

A bus story: I was on the top deck of a double decker in Manchester with my
ex a few years back, when it approached the bus stop under the bridge by
the BBC (the exact location is irrelevant, but I thought anyone familiar
with Manc would appreciate the attention to detail). Anyway, sitting in the
gutter was a plump, speckled pigeon. Guess where this is heading.

"Fly!" we thought, hoping that our brainwaves would cut through the ether
and prompt the little boid. As the bus neared, we lost sight of the
creature, owing to the fact that we were on the top deck of the bus and the
floor was less than transparent. Nevertheless, it seemed that everything
was fine: we hadn't felt the bump of pigeon under wheel, nor heard the
screams of little-old-lady-spattered0with-pigeon-blood.

The bus began to pull away. There was a slight breeze. A flurry of feathers
wafted out over Oxford road. We were sad (at least, until we got to Holland
& Barrett in the Arndale, and I treated myself to some fine Panda liquorice
comfits, mmmmm).

In accordance with honey's  wishes, no bands listed without good reason: I
would therefore like to suggest that you all buy stuff by British indie
combo "The Sweeney". Very upbeat, indie-pop in a good way. Great lyrics -
more than a little cynical (songs like "Shut Up!" and "Fish Face" - the
latter about David Mellor and his ilk). Here's the crunch though; if they
got a good festival gig, they'd become big (in the same way Dodgy managed
it). ATM they're relatively small fish, despite two great albums
(especially the first, "Pop Gun" - high in my top ten of all time greats).
A friend of mine spoke to the drummer the other day, and was told that
they're thinking of calling it a day if the next EP doesn't sell well.
They're a great band (a 3 piece) and this would be a tragic loss to the pop
world. So I implore you: check out "Pop Gun" if you can (though you won't
find it in most shops), then buy it, then see them live, then tell your
chums. Their record company is at www.rotator.com (or maybe .co.uk) if you
want to know more.

Finally, some smut: I occasionally fantasise about finding a woman who will
let me construct a little bastion of Pez bricks around each nipple, only to
nibble them off again.

Actually I've never fantasised about that, but I think I might start.

B&S Content? I sincerely hope they are.

Xav

xav at compsoc.man.ac.uk
http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~xav