Sinister: video tape tree and mp3's

David Kitchen shop at xxx.uk
Sat Nov 14 13:02:02 GMT 1998

after a flurry of messages regarding a few people willing to distribute bootlegs
of the promo video's and mp3 files of unreleased material we feel we have been
(yet again) forced to state jeepster's policy on this matter.

it is illegal according to home recording act and the copyright laws to reproduce
in any known media material for which you neither have permission or own the
original of.

now, we have repeatedly stated that we will ignore audio cassette copies, as
being realistic tape copies do happen and would be too hard to enforce.

but, we will not ignore CDR, DAT, minidisc, MP3, Real Audio, Real Video, Wav,
Video cassette, Beta Video or any other known media digital or otherwise which is
used to illegally distribute any material which is covered under international
copyright law by jeepster recordings ltd.

the action we take regarding such action will always be swift, our lawyers have
already taken action against a couple of parties involved in the distribution of
material of belle and sebastian, and right now we're taking action against 3
websites/ISP's and 1 record shop.

we will not hesitate to use legal action on the internet to enforce copyright.
you should be especially wary of using company resources or educational resources
(e-mail provided by your employer/university, etc) to advertise your intention to
distribute recordings for which the above applies. aside from the fact that many
employers and educational facilities view the mis-use of their resources as gross
misconduct, you may also like to know that as the ISP's/providers of the service
can be held accountable for the use/mis-use of their service under law in most
western countries (providing the service provider is aware of the situation, which
we woudl make them aware of - the result of this is you may find that your service
provider may monitor your use of their service), obviously you could find yourself
in a stickier mess than you can envision.

now, again, we will state that audio cassette's, fine, we will tolerate these. but
anything else and we have to take action.

i don't want to take action, i never do, and as much as i remain an obsessive fan,
one of my roles at jeepster is to prevent bootlegging via the internet. and when
it comes down to it, i will do my job. so again a plea, simply do not give me or
jeepster reason to take action, please!

here's hoping that this doesn't fall on deaf ears, as i really don't want to be a
permanent party pooper round these parts.

cheers

david kitchen