Sinister: my vote for "MUSICAL UNDERDOG WE SHOULD ALL BE LISTENING TO!"

Kin Woo travelling_light at xxx.com
Sun Nov 15 16:06:51 GMT 1998

Hey Sinisterines:)
Why didn't anyone reply to my previous email ("B&S here in
Australia?")??? David and Katrina STOP IGNORING ME!!!:) Reply Pretty
please!
Also, for a while back there, someone seemed to have taken the bait I
laid down in an old email and was writing about underrated people that
all us listees should have a listen to. Then, no more:( So I have taken
up the baton myself and decided to reveal my vote for UNDERDOG WHO
DESERVES MORE RECOGNITION. I hope Honey ("Honey", a very sexy
and suggestive name! Then again all B&S fans are) won't mind this. He
told me he's a piece of fluff actually (or is that supposed to be a
secret?), and he did say "no boring music lists" but that if one could
actually describe WHY people should listen to a particular act, then
it's ok. So I hope what I'm gonna say fits that description. My vote
goes to Tanya Donelly. Why you ask? Well besides being as beautiful as a
fairy queen, Tanya was one of the pivotal women behind alternative music
in the 90's. In the seminal Throwing Muses, she and her half-sister
Kristin made a contribution to music as important as their labelmates,
Pixies; though it's only the Pixies who g
But it was in Belly, the band Tanya fronted, (not just played second
fiddle to like she did in Muses and Breeders) that her star rose to
ascendancy. Belly's "Star" is still one of my favourite albums of all
time (yes yes B&S are also on my all time fave list, so don't throw
those rotten veges!) I've not heard an album that melded extremely
unforgettable tunes and melodies to such dark and weird fairytales with
so much success. Its very subversiveness has never been matched (though
Garbage and Black Box Recorder have come close). It frustrates me so
when I read articles about the women who shaped alternative rock today
and I see no mention of her. It's always PJ Harvey, Courtney love, Kim
Deal and Kim Gordon. While all those women are absolutely amazing too
and I love them immensely, it's as if it's saying Tanya wrote pop songs
and wasn't as outspoken about her gender, so she doesn't count. My
friends who have heard of Belly also carelessly dismiss them. ARRGGH!
It's like saying  on a first listen, B&S are tw
So listees, go out and buy "Star" and be reduced to tears by the
powerfully surreal and sinister fairy tales (Brothers Grimm indeed) and
of course, whirl dervishly to the amazing tunes contained therein. Their
follow-up "King" is also excellent-rockier and less sparse, but
unfortunately also a bit more conventional and less cohesive. Her solo
album called heh! "Lovesongs for Underdogs" (Belly split up after
"King":( is you guessed it, brilliant. Though a bit too happy for me
personally as a Tanya fan (she needs to return to dark and depressive
imagery), it contains more innovation and great songs than all those
moronic Alanis-ites put together. Her EP, her first solo outing,
"Sliding and Diving" is breathtaking too. You get the idea.
So listees don't crucify me for writing so much; I get very passionate
about my music. Also, don't tell me I should go off to a 4AD list, they
already know the wonders of Belly and Tanya (though maybe I should go
there and extol the virtues of Belle and Sebastian!:) Instead heed my
advice and give Tanya a listen, you won't be disappointed!
Also, hope others are gonna take up the bait (is that correct English?)
and extol the virtues of an act they think has been cruelly underrated
by the music press (Though back when "Star" was released it appeared on
every music mag's "best of" list)
Honey, forgive me if I have sinned
Seeya:)
Kin Woo