Sinister: I like my "virtual cyberfriends," thank you very much

Nanettee at xxx.com Nanettee at xxx.com
Tue Nov 17 23:00:14 GMT 1998

This whole argument about list content is really, really silly, in my opinion
(and probably the opinion of lots of others). I have never, ever been on a
mailing list that doesn't contain some amount of fluff unrelated to the
subject of the list. But that's part of the fun of it. I didn't think anyone
subscribed to a mailing list and expected it to stay on topic.

Yes, there is a lot of traffic on this list. It's something that I noticed
after one day of subscribing. Yes, some of it is irrelevant to me. But you
know what? I just delete what is irrelevant. No complaints, no bother. If I
miss something, I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

What bothered me was the comment about "who needs virtual cyberfriends." I've
met a lot of wonderful people over the Internet, and so have many of my
friends. Does this mean that "I can't make friends with living, breathing
people in the flesh"? No, it doesn't. I'm a perfectly well-adjusted human
being (albeit a bit shy). I took offense at this comment. I found it
insulting. Relationships formed over the Internet can be just as intense and
personal as relationships formed in real life. It may sound sort of cheesy to
meet people that way, but I'll find friends wherever I can. Anyone who is
going to discount a friendship as being "unimportant" just because it takes
place over the Internet needs to open their mind a little bit.

And now for some obligatory B&S content...I have been listening to "Le Pastie
De La Bourgeoise" all day...and I have been enjoying it immensely. I'm upset
that I missed the video on 120 Minutes...I was even awake, but I never watch
any more...the garbage that passes for "alternative" just makes my head hurt.
But now I realize that I'm going to have to watch it...but with my luck,
they'll never repeat it, and I'm out of luck....bah.

xo
love
nanette!

no idea, no spark: nanette's online journal
http://www.geocities.com/soho/workshop/7432/
new entry coming soon!!