Sinister: She, me, I, you, everybody, everybody.

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 18 14:20:35 GMT 1998

I suppose I'd better start off with a little Nell and Sir Bar Stein content,
since I haven't been on that thread for, ooh, two months or so, and the
wibble vultures have been circling of late.  My question to you is this:
(And by you I mean those of you who hail from the green, hilly place known
as Scotland)  My girlfriend (and me voting for list crushes too, the
shame...) hails from Ayr, and she loves B&S almost as much as I do, but she
seems to have a distinct advantage in that much as I find the music
evocative of emotions, colours and feelings, she feels a kind of small-town
Scottishness about it that hits home.  Is this a part of the overall emotion
B&S inspire that I am doomed eternally to miss?

And now a grammar lesson.

The whole she and me thing strikes me as one of the pathetic attempts by
grammarians to enforce illogical rules onto a perfectly decent and flexible
language (cf split infinitives, split away people - no-one can lock you up
for it).  The idea is that if you take either she or I away, the sentence
should still read grammatically.  Of course if you were to say she gave it
to me (oo-er) then that would be fine (oo-er).  She does not give it to I,
nor do I give it to she, I give it to her...

...which is all fantastically dull, but important if you want to
successfully get on in life (apparently).

Did you know (don't you just hate it when people say that, and when they
rush up to you saying guess what, guess what?) that Shakespeare used around
17,000 words in all his plays, and that about one tenth of them he made up
himself?  Presumably we're talking about adding endings, as opposed to say,
inventing a whole word like fgtho'd (to rhyme with Orange), but still, I
give the man a lot of respect for that.  In fact it inspires me to enter
this fine and dandy rhyming verse competition.  I have a good knowledge of
rhymes, as I knew someone called Gabriel Cheng, whom I nicknamed Table Leg
on the basis that it rhymes with his name.  It does you know.  Try harder.
Believe.

Neil
Xx

If you only listen to one song today, make it "Monument for a dead century"
by loveable scouse mad-indies the Boo Radleys.  Altogether now, "nobody
lives here any more...We're building a monument, for a dead century".