Sinister: I like my "virtual cyberfriends," thank you very much

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Wed Nov 18 22:25:01 GMT 1998

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 Nanettee at aol.com wrote:
> What bothered me was the comment about "who needs virtual cyberfriends." I've
> met a lot of wonderful people over the Internet, and so have many of my
> friends. Does this mean that "I can't make friends with living, breathing
> people in the flesh"? No, it doesn't. I'm a perfectly well-adjusted human
> being (albeit a bit shy).

I find that even though I am communicating with more people than ever,
this is a two-sided issue.  On one hand, how else would I have active
corresponce with people from Sweden, Russia, Australia, Germany, Chile,
England, Scotland, and the Netherlands?  On the other hand, I have met
some local people face-to-face after trading email, after meeting on
mailing lists.  But...since we are used to email, and it is so easy to
dash off a note about "Hey Mark whaddayathinka...", I know we speak on the
phone less, and see each other face-to-face less often.

Now, meeting fellow B&S fans:  I thought the show in Chicago might be a
good occasion to meet some people.  The list meet-up was a total bust.  I
could not find anyone.  The venue was crowded enough that you could really
only talk to the people you landed near.

First I found myself standing next to a gal who had a bit of a Catholic
schoolgirl thing happening fashionwise.  She was not unfriendly, but every
attempt to start a conversation would only elicit a one-sentence response.
I couldn't determine if she was reacting out of lack of interest, lack of
much to say, or from the inhibitions of shyness.  After Momus finished, I
decided I didn't care. Through a Bugs Bunny-like "pardon-me-excuse-me-
pardon-me-excuse-me..." I forced myself closer to the stage.

I landed next to a petite blond who had more to say.  She said I looked
like I must be someone important.  Lots of eye contact and all the things
which at minimum border on flirtation.  After the show I floated the idea
of meeting up for a bite to eat or something (as opposed to asking
outright), whereupon she waved "bye-bye" and left with her boyfriend
(hadn't noticed him earlier).

It's a big boxing match out there, and I am always wide open for a flurry
of blows to the kidney and a right hook knockout punch.  I've got the
cauliflower ears to prove it too.  But try to find a trainer!  Ha!

A big truck from a furniture rental company is blocking my afternoon
sunshine.  Soundtrack: Merzbow, _Pornoise 1KG_ "UFO Versus British Army".

--Mark

__ Burning Rome : SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14
   < http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome > < MP3 & RealAudio tracks >