Sinister: Seventies Honey

Linda Kerr L.Kerr at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 19 11:17:12 GMT 1998

Dear chaps

Peter Miller wrote:

>"Tigermilk" is Ice Breaker blue. Who remembers them? They were
>better than Spangles. I hope I've got the name right. Linda will
>know, she has an elephant's memory where the greatest decade in
>human history is concerned.

Yes indeed, Ice Breakers were a seventies landmark in confectionary.
Glam choc.  They came out about the same time as Old Jamaica, and
were on the top row in the sweet shop, near the till.  Milky
chocolate shot through with shards of bluey-green "magic stuff" that
cut your lips, in a shiny glam wrapper.  They represented the world
of grown-up spending capacity, and cost 18p. I still feel it is bad
to buy them, being the equivalent of over 3 Cadbury's Animal Bars.

The seventies were my formative years and there is nothing I can do
about it, sigh, although I do prefer them as seen through Peter's
retrospective gaze.   Being born in 1965, I went to school in 1970,
and expected that everything would go in fives and tens from then on,
until I was 35 in the year 2000. Decimalisation held no fears for me
- it is how the world was meant to be.

Brier wrote

>Why do people keep calling Honey a "mrs."? He's Paul, a boy, non?
>I've been here a while but am still rather confused re: gender.
>Patriarch or matriarch? Enquiring minds want to know. But
>regardless, please heed his/her/its wisdom-filled posts.

Having lived with our gallant leader for twelve years, I spill the
beans that Miss Honey runs a high-class whorehouse in New Orleans, and
administers strict discipline on the sinister list just to keep her
hand in.  The name Paul is used occasionally for tax purposes.

No, seriously, Miss Honey, is a beautiful princess who got sleeping
sickness when kissed by an evil blonde prince who then went and
married a fucking vicar and now sends us a parish circular every
Christmas.

You choose.
L.

xx
EEVL Project Officer
L.Kerr at hw.ac.uk

Heriot-Watt University Library, Edinburgh  EH14 4AS UK
Tel : +44 (0)131 451 3572  Fax:   +44 (0)131 451 3164