Sinister: They're taking it out on us

david kitchen - jeepster shop at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 19 14:06:49 GMT 1998

Mark Kolmar wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Heather Marie Propes wrote:
>
> > What is the general interpretation of this line:
> >
> > "All the others did drugs
> > they're taking it out on us"
>
> A couple of possibilities:
>
> a) <snip>
>
> b) <snip>

c) maybe it refers to the 'casuals' out there. in pulp's world there is the upper
class, middle class, working class and a different class, and that's us. in belle
and sebastian's world this holds true still ("ah, wee chris. the casuals tried to
do you in when you were at school, but they're all listening now. they're sitting
in burger king. and they're thinking, 'jesus! that's chris geddes from dalry!'.
and chris is sitting there, cool as a cat behind a steinway grand on national
radio.", from the sleeve to is you're feeling sinister).

and the point? well it's the casuals who are down at their local disco, doing 'e',
acid and speed. it's them that are dying of freak accidents and dehydration due to
drugs. and the older generation? they're passing laws and coming down on our
generation. but we didn't do it, we're not the ones f*ing up and killing
ourselves. it's the casuals, go ask them. but no, the others may have done dugs,
but since the swines are unaccountable we'll blame you lot for being the same age
and for going to the same uni's, etc. we're being punished for what the casuals
have done. hence the lyric.

i don't mind belonging to a different class, i just wish that this means that
we'll stick together and help our dreams come to fruition, at least then we'll
break out of this casual world of existence.

anyone feel the same? probably not, just hit delete and move on

david

                  david kitchen : jeepster recordings ltd

http://www.jeepster.co.uk/ http://www.jeepster.co.uk/belleandsebastian/
http://www.jeepster.co.uk/salako/ http://www.jeepster.co.uk/snowpatrol/

                         mailto:shop at jeepster.co.uk

 jeepster recordings ltd, 217 canalot, 222 kensal road, london w10 5bn

       with the words 'subscribe news' in the body of the message
     there is no need to subscribe if you are on the 'sinister' list