Sinister: The Fox In The Snow

Jessica Gockley jgockley at xxx.edu
Fri Nov 20 19:08:02 GMT 1998

Heather Marie Propes wanted to know:
>First of all, what is "Fox in the Snow" all about? Why are this person's
>legs turning black and blue, and why in the world would there be a
>question as to whether he got paid?

Since my name is Jessica Foxinasnow and all, i thought i could give this
one a shot. I'm pretty sure the first stanza really is just about a lonely
fox, but then the metaphor carries over into the second, which is the one
that i related to so much i named myself after the song. It's about a
lonely girl, bookwormish and full of ideas, who just can't seem to relate
to the people around her. Her friends think she's kind of weird, and she
wants so badly to tell them what she's really about, but she's afraid they
won't understand and so she keeps it bottled up inside and just lets out a
crazy laugh and heads home to be by herself again. My favorite bit in the
whole song is the beginning of this stanza, "Girl in the snow, where will
you go to find someone who will do? to tell someone all the truth before it
kills you?"

Then in the third stanza, there's a lonely boy, who goes off riding his
bike around town. He's not even having fun, he's just trying to escape
society for a little while. I see him as being a bit frenzied, only caring
about getting away and not even paying any attention to where he's going.
Even when he keeps hurting himself (falling off his bike or whatever), he
can't stop pedaling. The singer wonders why the kid keeps just biking
around, when it's not like anybody's paying him to be doing it, and it
certainly seems like it's more painful than rewarding.

The final stanza i've never been quite so sure what to make of. If anyone
wants to do a little bit of exegesis with that one, go for it, cos i think
i'll stop here. Anyway, the song to me is about feeling lonely and isolated
(cos you think too much and feel too much) and wanting to get away to
somewhere where the people understand you, but not knowing how to get
there. Which i relate to very well.

I think i've just listened to "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
seventeen times in a row...i LOVE that song. Mmmm.

Jess

"When you're dancing and laughing and finally living, hear my voice in your
head and think of me kindly" - The Smiths

Jessica Gockley | Box 326 Eastern College | 1300 Eagle Road |
St Davids, PA 19087 | 610-225-5403