Sinister: The Fox In The Snow

Heather Marie Propes asbuch at xxx.edu
Fri Nov 20 19:25:35 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Jessica Gockley wrote:

> Since my name is Jessica Foxinasnow and all, i thought i could give this
> one a shot. I'm pretty sure the first stanza really is just about a lonely
> fox, but then the metaphor carries over into the second, which is the one
> that i related to so much i named myself after the song. It's about a
> lonely girl, bookwormish and full of ideas, who just can't seem to relate
> to the people around her. Her friends think she's kind of weird, and she

OK, thanks very much for such a thoughtful answer. I really do wonder a
lot about B&S's lyrics as they seem to contain a lot of double entenre,
metaphor and what have you. Anyway, I guess the reason I couldn't relate
to they lyrics at first was because it's been a long time since I've been
that age! (I'm 28, and have survived painful school days, social cliques,
etc). Yet, it does seem to describe precisely what I was as a child too, I
was chubby, and liked nothing more than to sit around reading "The Little
Princess" by Frances Hodgeson Burnett. I also read "Wuthering Heights" but
I preferred "Jane Eyre." I don't know if I'd go so far as to say I felt
too much, but I was certainly a social outcast. Then I discovered punk and
became a rebel, still a social outcast, but at now least with a manifesto
and a subculture. A friend of mine once said, "you know, if we weren't
into this kind of music, we'd all be really dorky."

Anyway, thanks Jessica, yours was just the answer I was looking for!

Heatherita