Sinister: SHELAGH DELANEY ANYONE ?

Nikolas Montaldi nmontaldi at xxx.com
Sat Nov 21 10:49:18 GMT 1998

HI LIST...

I was just wondering if any of you people share my passion for
writer/playwright Shelagh Delaney ? It  would not surprise me if she was
little known outside the U.K, since she has really been a very lazy
Shelagh.
She wrote the most perfect play "A Taste Of Honey" aged nineteen,and
after that little else,apart from a funny collection of short stories
"Sweetly Sings The Donkey" and a less convincing play.This was of
coourse billions of years ago,sometime in the early 1960's,so she is
almost forgotten today.I just mention her because her characters have
all very Belle&Sebastian-esque qualities,from the stubborn and rebuked
Jo in "Taste Of Honey" to the half knowing,half innocent adolescent boys
ad girls in her short stories.
Delaney herself seems to have been a wonderful character and I have a
ace photograph of her hanging above my desk,however I know little about
her.Nonetheless I find it rather adorable to be hailed as some literary
genius at 19 and then to retire at 25 unwilling to become part of the
establishment,don't you think so?
Well thats all from me for today -

Greetings from the boy with the blocked up nose.

P.S:Stephane,I'm sorry that I still haven't send you the book I
promised.I've got a dreadful cold and have since been unable to make my
planned trip to Edinburgh.Did you get my note last week?