Sinister: SHELAGH DELANEY ANYONE ?

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Sat Nov 21 15:24:02 GMT 1998

At 02:49 AM 11/21/98 PST, you wrote:

>HI LIST...
>
>I was just wondering if any of you people share my passion for
>writer/playwright Shelagh Delaney ? It  would not surprise me if she was
>little known outside the U.K, since she has really been a very lazy
>Shelagh.

I've read her.  I'm not from the U.K. (grew up in Detroit, lived in Louisville, Boston, Chicago, Italy, LA, now SF). Wasn't she considered part of the "Angry Young Men" group?  I've never really followed up on reading any of the others, but "Taste of Honey" was excellent.  You'll note that Morrissey stole quite a few lines from her...

"A double bed and a stalwart love of the shore, these are the riches of the poor."  (Just one example, several others exist too.)

Anyway, for what it's worth, I buy into the previous comments that B&S seems like the Smiths of the 90's.  Lyrically, Gene seems to fall into that niche as well.  It's a shame the Smiths can't get back together and write songs.  I wouldn't even cared if they toured, or rather it'd be better if they didn't.  They seemed to have that right mix of bitter and lyrical, Morrissey and Marr as right and left hands never really able to shake properly...  Morrissey solo seems to have sweetened slightly and I'd prefer a little more sour.

Kudos for mentioning a forgotten playwrite.  There is a light that never goes out.

Chris