Sinister: hi everyone

Kin Woo travelling_light at xxx.com
Sun Nov 22 16:55:50 GMT 1998

>Hello everyone, 	I just joined the list a couple days ago.  My name is
Mike,
>and I live near Philadelphia.  I was wondering if anyone could
recommend some
>groups someone that likes Belle and Sebastian would also like.  I'm off
>work, thanks in advance, mike
sorry peeps, I dunno if this is really for the list but thought I'd
share with you all what I'm into (you back there, stop groaning:)
As some listees already know Mike, I'm pretty crazed about Belly and
Tanya Donelly (I preached about her in a previous post)
If you haven't heard of her or them, you really must go out and buy
yourself a copy of "Star" and have your breath taken away by this deadly
effective combination of wonderful tunes and sinister fairy tales. Then
go and search out her solo effort too- "Lovesongs for Underdogs", which
will render all those moronic Alanis-ites even more useless if that is
possible.
MOst listees I'm sure have pretty varied tastes, so I'm just gonna share
some of the more  eclectic and disparate bands I'm into.
One Dove are another band I've preached endlessly about. They make
unspeakably gorgeous ambient techno (with lovely melancholy lyrics) that
capture the spectrum of human emotion much more effectively than 99% of
techno bands. Sadly they are no more, but "Morning Dove White" their one
and only album is a thing of perfect beauty. Go buy it.
Teenage Fanclub, Tindersticks, Spiritualized, Air, Black Box Recorder,
Lamb, Palace and Sparklehorse are bands that can't be more highly
recommended and are thoroughly essential.
And not to be snobbish, there is a lot of 'big', 'commercial' bands that
are magnificient also like Radiohead and Garbage.
Anyway that's what I am listening to (though there are definitely quite
a few more bands that I love but have neglected to mention). Nick Drake
is definitely essential, being godfather of all things folk.
it's a bit wierd I guess. Whenever i post, it's usually to rant n' rave
about some band or the other. Hope the listees out there forgive me:)
But I can get quite passionate about music (hmm have I said this
before?) I'd like to share B&S stories or talk about list crushes and up
my 'smut' factor but I can never find anything to talk about in those
areas:) It's also hard to share B&S stories when the probability of B&S
touring Western Australia are next to nil (sob boohoo) So I'll live
vicariously thru everyone else I guess:)
So I also guess I'll NOT be getting any list crush votes, unless anyone
fancies a music freak! Anyhoo, that's all i gotta say for now. Welcome
to the list Mike:) Hope you like it as much as I have seeya folks, Kin
Woo
With A Star Upon Your Shoulder
Lighting Up The Path As You Walk