Sinister:

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Nov 22 17:47:56 GMT 1998

Hi All,

PyJama Miller wrote

        CD 1 of the Booker T and the MGs annual set . CD 3 features Boz
Scaggs. Sounds like     something you have to go to the vet with. Have
Splat and Pish had their Boz Scaggs jabs        yet?

Boz Scaggs used to play in the Steve Miller Band for a while when they were
good, c 1968. The album called just Boz Scaggs (sorry, just can't bring
myself to type eponymous) is a little gem with backing by the Muscle Shoals
(didn't Captain Chris once say that he admired these guys?)house band
featuring lots of Duane Allman dobro and slide guitar. There's a 13 minute
version of Loan Me A Dime with blindingly intense playing by Duane,
rendered all the greater when you know that as he played so loud they had
to shut him into the toilet so the rest of the band could hear themselves.
Much later Boz recorded a disco album called Silk Degrees: What Can I Say
was a minor UK hit (1976?)

Michele Waggner & the Slow Giraffe Dreamer yearned for incense & communes.
When we were at school we used to have a camp and a treehouse in the woods
and would hang out there trying to be hippies. My mate Alan had all the
Incredible String Band albums: I just bought 5,000 Spirits because of the
cover (and First Girl I Loved). Played it the other day and its still
(mostly) listenable. Perhaps it would sound better if I took it out into
the woods, or into Honey's Perfumed Garden. (Blimey, I didn't realise that
he had written that as well! Honey had better watch out, too, or that
policeman with the wonky helmet will be after those tabs concealed in his
skiddies.) Haven't heard any of other ISB records in decades.

Sad to hear tales of now portly Evan Dando being a yob at the Supper Club.
Seemed like a nice bloke when I've talked to him at gigs, despite his
interest in Charlie & The Family, He even called me Sir. Such a well
brought up young man.

Went to see Hefner & Cinerama last night. Hefner better than I've heard on
record, Cinerama fantastic, 14 songs, all great. I like new widescreen pop
crooner Gedge better than his growly twin. I aked him what he thought of
the Wedding Present tribute album, which I received recently (bargain: 12
tracks for only £2.95, and some of them are even good!). He likes
Convertible by Frigidaire best, I go for the version of Blue Eyes by Jet
Assembly, in a sort of Come On Eileen stylee.

To finish with name dropping I talked to Damon Albarn's dad the other day
and he's a nice geezer too.

Enough of this rambling, what about Belle'nd S?

Big Stu/Mystic Smegma wrote of the 2013 "Best of" album. In my role of B&S
evangelist I have a 90 minute casette of which to give copies to likely
converts. I haven't updated it for some months, so it still contains:
Dog On Wheels/String Bean Jean/State I Am In/Expectations/Electronic
Renaissance/I Could Be Dreaming/We Rule The School/Stars of Track &
Field/Seeing Other People/Dylan In The Movies/Fox In The
Snow/IYFS/Mayfly/LLPJ/Photo Jenny/Century of Elvis/Modern Rock Song/Slap
The Cock Around/Century of Fakers/Le Pastie.

It needs updating, but what to throw out? The arrival of SMUTTYBUS doesn't
present too many problems, as I only like 5 songs (S!H!O!C!K! - 700 bad
mails coming) and 1 is on already. So if I add Is It Pretty Not To
Smile/Ease Your Feet Into the Sea/Dirty Dream and TBWTAS itself, plus
Pocket Book Angel and I Know Where The Summer Goes which I acquired
recently (take a bow Jake), what has to go? First thoughts are E.
Renaissance/Dylan In the Movies/IYFS/Century of Broccoli, but then I'm
stuck. Whats the perfect 90 minute Best OF?

Advice welcomed, especially to avoid wasted minutes of silence at the end
of each side. Thanks,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK

In the cat: Chicken & Kidney in Gravy - Felix