Sinister: Some replies

Alasdair Cook MS1996 acook at xxx.uk
Mon Nov 23 12:48:34 GMT 1998

Someone mailed me to say that I was cool and should keep mailing (I will
mail you back). I don't see it myself, but I have to respect the views
of the people on this list, and as such, here it is, another mail. Ho
hum, better get on with it....

Sandip wrote

> I just want to know who does the Dylan in 'Like
> Dylan In The Movies' refer to

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's THE Dylan. The
song goes,
"Don't look back, like Dylan in the movies" which would seem to be a
reference to Bob's very wonderful documentary film of his 1965 British
tour, which was indeed titled "Don't look back"(I think.....actually I
hope because this theory kind of falls apart if it isn't). Has anyone
seen it? I especially like the part where Dylan, Donovan, Joan Baez and
some other people are sitting around and they ask Donovan to play a song
and he sings "To sing for you"(which is very good) and after he's
finished he asks Dylan to play "It's all over now, baby blue" and Dylan
duly obliges, and its all fantastic. So there you go, question answered
I hope.(Sorry I rambled on for a while there, but I do like to do that
now and again)

Also, here's another reply to Mike who said

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend some
> groups someone that likes Belle and Sebastian would also like

Since I do like B+S(as is evidenced by my being on this list), I suppose
I'm as good a person to answer as any. I certainly wouldn't dream of
saying that all fans of B+S  will like the same other stuff as me, but
here's some bands/artists that I like anyway, in no particular order:

Suede, Jeff Buckley, REM, Van Morrison, James Taylor, Super Furry
Animals, Divine Comedy, Geneva, The Clash, Nick Drake, The Pixies, The
Smiths, Orange Juice, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Patti Smith, The
Pogues.

There are some others but thats all I can remember at the moment.
Hope I've been of some use.

Cheers
       Ally