Sinister: b+s=belle and sebastian, r+b=ruth brown

Carl Polgar Jr cp83985 at xxx.edu
Mon Nov 23 15:31:52 GMT 1998

someone, maybe lesley, wondered what segment of the whole gen-x thing they
fell into.  my theory is that someone in my age group (around 21 or so)
doesn't really fall into any generational category.  to me, i'm too young
to be a part of generation x (god, i hate writing that).  while i am in my
twenties, i think the term applies to those who were in their twenties
during the early nineties, mainly those who were in their twenties when
the term came into popular use and during the subsequent years after.  in
my little world, i narrowly avoided such a fate.  i also think that
people my age are too old to be a part of the pepsi-sponsored generation
next, since that seems to apply only to pepsi's target audience of
teenagers. so that's my theory.  maybe i just came up with it as a way to
avoid being labeled, which is not among my favorite things that i like to
have done to me.  my friends who are my age seem to agree with me.  my
older friends do not -- they happily tell me i'm a gen-x-er and that
there's nothing i can do about it.  boo to them.

a cheap way of getting posters and flats of your favorite bands is to make
friends with someone who works at a record store.  record companies send
out tons of flats, posters, stickers, promos, etc. all the time -- a
couple of them stuff bumber stickers into their packages, i guess when
they run out of styrofoam peanuts.  i work at a rather, crappy record
store  (peaches music and video) and we keep everything the record
companies send us in a big crate in our warehouse (hey, that was a really
blatant run-on sentence!).  since my store is rather sucky, though, we
mostly get stuff from the major record labels.  we don't deal much with
matador so i probably can't get much belle and sebastian stuff (so you
don't have to make friends with me).  but cool stuff comes in every once
in a while -- i got a really neat mini-comic book promoting the eels new
album, and i have tons of free t-shirts from really crappy bands (if
anyone wants a monster magnet t-shirt, just ask -- it's never been worn).

one last thing,
if you haven't seen "happiness" yet, go see it! now!  i mean it. i don't
want to bastardize any of the movie, so i'll just say, "wow, it's quite a
movie".

love to all,
carl.