Sinister: csa

kellym at xxx.com> kellym at xxx.com>
Mon Nov 23 18:03:17 GMT 1998

gateau du wizz wrote:

|jessica -
|
|yikes....cool irish bands include:
|the catchers
|the catchers have a new album out...i had forgotten they existed
|because the last time i saw them they supported a house at the garage
|in london - 1994 - i guess i had a crush on alice lemon.  she had
|enormous boobs i remember.  and a too-small top.  saw the new album in
|rough trade the other day and nearly fell over.  i will purchase when
|i hear something about it.

Oh, oh, oh.  I've been dying to recommend this album for the past two weeks
but was brutally affraid people would think i was making stuff up in order
to squandor your hard earned cash on something people have never heard of.
BUT, I guess people do know of them so I shall heartily recommend it.  Its a
really hard album to lump into any set genre (file under easy listening?),
so its a bit hard to find a context in which to put it in.  It has some
really beautiful sparse accoustic numbers filled with longing, love lost,
love got, etc, as well as some sort of (don't make me say techno-ish) um...
techno-ish (damn!) songs, but I say this in a very good way.  Lots of
violins and  guitars and melody. It has a very good winter kind of feeling
too it.  The lead singer is male with a sort of um... irish i guess, kind of
voice (does that make sense? he says "aout" for "out" hehe) and there is
also a female who does some vocals. Pretty Pretty Pretty.  Anyway, its by
"catchers" and is titled "stooping to fit" and is out in the uk on setanta
records.  No US release has been worked out that I know of.

-Kelly Ryan McGuire
  the not so indie rock critic