Sinister: beautiful south

Frank Yang fyang at xxx.ca
Mon Nov 23 19:50:56 GMT 1998

Jim Schmidt wrote:

>      was wondering if anyone else on this list likes the beautiful south
>      (and the housemartins, of course)...
>
>      i was listening to "choke" last night and a couple of the songs
>      reminded me of b&s musically, especially the bits with horns and
>      strings..."i think tonight i'd rather love myself" really hit me after
>      i listened to IYFS...maybe i was just way stoned...hmmm.
>
>      am i alone? probably.
>      what else is new?

I was wondering when someone would point this out.  One of my first impressions
of B&S was that they reminded me of the Housemartins - not that they especially
sounded like them (though listen to Me & The Major and the Housemartins' Me &
The Farmer... you cannot tell me Stu Murdoch does not own either Housemartin
record!), but they share a similar approach and spirit.  B&S are obviously more
introspective and less political, but both have a knack for an indidiously
catchy tune.  The Beautiful South compares in their musical arrangements and
usage of unconventional instruments, but have less of the energy that B&S and
the Housemartins had.  They're just gettin' old.  All three bands have a
terrific way with words, though.  Excellent lyrics all around.

So anyone who likes B&S and haven't heard the Housemartins should get "Now This
Is What I Call Quite Good", their compilation (though they only had two
records).  Chances are you'll appreciate it.

End sales pitch.

--
Frank Yang
Imperial Tobacco Ltd.

In my CD player:  Spiritualized - Live At The Royal Albert Hall