Sinister: Student life and eighties movies

Aranzazu Sanz-Garcia pcxas at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 24 10:45:23 GMT 1998

Someone wrote yesterday about why life is not as perfect as movies,
especially as romantic comedies in the eighties. These films taking place
in American Universities have ruined my life, you know. When I was eleven
or so , my friends and me used to spend weekends watching some of those in
the video and commenting later how cute Andrew McCarthy was ('Pretty in
Pink ', for instance)or how swoony Rob Lowe was ('St Elmo's fire')

When I first arrived at Uni, I had an inconscious and subtle feeling that
my life would become like theirs but I never found any ALPHA DELTA EPSILON
sororities , never some popular but sensitive guy who finally discovered
me as his perfect 'significant other' apart from being his best mate and
sharing his love for music and basket...I never was very fond of
basket,indeed. And after one year at the Science Faculty I realised it was
not going to happen.Was it because of grunge, was it because we were not
in New England but in Madrid,was it because of not being 'ginger'?
Someone sensible told me the truth : that student life only exists in
Hollywood screenplayers sick minds.

ANyhow, isnt Scream a sort of hilarious revival of eighties horror movies?
Why cannot we have a revival , though a hilarious one, of universitary
romantic comedies ??? And Belle and Sebastian would be a perfect
soundtrack for the day the guy realises he has been such a git dating that
curvy and brainless peroxide blonde and rushes in a bike , has a crash and
finally confesses his love to the red /brown haired, shy and bitten nailed
girlie in hospital. He would be a leftie, of course, and there would be
some scene of both of them playing with a fox in the snow.

I am just going to run to get the copyright !

XXXXX

Arantxa