Sinister: Duffel solidarity

Robin Stout Ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 24 13:01:33 GMT 1998

I have a duffel coat, which i love, but I seem to get no end of abuse
for wearing it. Insults usually take the highly original form of "OI,
duffel!". I just run away - once they get you by the toggles there's
no escape. The chief culprits are puffa jacket wearers, the types who
hang around the bus stops with their "White Storm" cider cos they're
too young to get in the pubs. Maybe the duffel is the puffa's natural
enemy. In a natural history documentary about the life of coats, I
imagine the puffa would be like some sort of rabid dingo and your
duffel would be a graceful gazelle. Sorry, I'm getting a bit carried
away with this.

So, on to matters musical...

David Moore wrote about his dilemma over what to put on a B&S
compilation:
"what has to go? First thoughts are E.
Renaissance/Dylan In the Movies/IYFS/Century of Broccoli, but then
I'm stuck."
Actually, the songs above are the ones that I'd definitely
keep. Now I know this is all just a matter of opinion and i
don't want to start any this-song's-better-than-that
arguments, but if you want to reflect B&S's diversity, E.
Renaissance, Century of Elvis and IYFS are esssential, as is Le
Pastie. And personally, I think Electronic Renaissance is wonderful.

agree that the Short Album About Love is one of their best, but I'd
say that and Promenade are my favourites. Maybe this is something to
do with the hopeless romantic in me. I don't really rate Fin De
Seicle much apart from Eric The Gardener which is fantastic and
sounds like a clockwork roundabout.

As David Kitchen stuck up for council estates, I'd like to do the
same for trailer parks. I know someone from California, my only true
friend from America, called Dave. I met him at university last year
and we used to call him, rather unoriginally, American Dave. Well,
American Dave is a little difficult to explain, but to sum him up I'd
say he is the funniest person I've ever met, he completely changed my
opinion of Americans, and he lives on a trailer park. Maybe Dave is
an exception, but just as council estates aren't the sole reserve of
the casuals, all people who live in trailer parks aren't trash. It's
all to do with circumstance I suppose, you live where you have to,
even if it's the planet of the apes, or Birmingham.
I blame Maggie Thatcher.

Are David and Katrina going out with each other? Or am I just being
stupid?

Stay groovy, kids

	Robin