Sinister: concentric circles

Burt Reynolds chigger88 at xxx.com
Tue Nov 24 18:30:21 GMT 1998

I was re-reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon last night when
I came upon the following paragraph.  It reminded me of this list and
all the friendships we've all made through it whether real or dreamt.

"In Golden Gate Park she came on a circle of children in their
nightclothes, who told her they were dreaming the gathering.  But that
the dream was really no different from being awake, because in the
mornings when they got up they felt tired, as if they'd been up most of
the night.  When their mothers thought they were out playing they were
really curled up in cupboards of neighbors' houses, in platforms up in
trees, in secretly-hollowed nests inside hedges, sleeping, making up for
these hours.  The night was empty of all the terror for them, they had
inside their circle an imaginary fire, and needed nothing but their own
unpenetrated sense of community."

Yer pal,
Rachael