Sinister: Mullet haircuts

Frank Yang fyang at xxx.ca
Tue Nov 24 19:13:26 GMT 1998

clint stauffer wrote:

> >This list is getting very 'Jerry Springer'.  Does this Ahren
> >bloke have a mullet haircut and mustache per-chance?
>
> What is a mullet haircut?
> I asked myself that very same question after reading John's message, so I
> investigated (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6906/).  It appears a
> mullet haircut is what I've always know to be referred to as "hockey hair" or a
> "butt-rocker" haircut.  A good tie-in with the recent dicussions of American
> trailer parks.  My question is the following:  Does listening to country music,
> watching pro wrestling, and driving Camaros lead one to get a mullet haircut,
> or is it that people with mullet haircuts are naturally draw to these
> pursuits?  It's sort of a chicken-and-the-egg discussion.  Any opinions would
> be appreciated.

Having lived amongst the mullet-headed for a summer (Oshawa Ontario provides
invaluable field study opportunities for those interested in this species), I can
offer the following:
the hair does not occur as a result of the watching wrasslin' or waiting anxiously
for the new Aerosmith record.  NOr does one drive a bitchin' camaro because of the
haircut.  All these things seem to occur simultaneously - because the individual,
for some reason, thinks - hey, this looks really good, and chicks'll dig me.  Other
popular items are acid-wash jeans, t-shirts with slogans on them (I'm with stupid
comes to mind, but that's a little more cerebral than most) and of course the
obligatory moustache.  Other offences to good taste I witnessed - a neon purple
pick-up truck lowered so it drove about four inches off the ground with purple
running lights and a chain around the license plate.   I dunno what it is - maybe
they just don't get cable tv or are trapped in a space/time loop which has trapped
them forever in 1985.  It's the Wedding Singer to the nth degree.  Scary scary.

--
Frank Yang
"Homer, you've got it set on 'whore'."

In my CD player:  Mark Eitzel - West