Sinister: wednesday poem

milla |razorkandy| goodforyoo at xxx.com
Tue Nov 24 22:58:41 GMT 1998

... new tradition?

more than 1 poem a wek wldnt go 'stray?

here is one of my favourites, a real lifechanger

Snow

The room was suddenly rich and the great bay-window was
Spawning snow and pink roses against it,
Soundlessly collateral and incompatible.
World is suddener than we fancy it.

World is crazier and more of it than we think,
Incorrigibly plural. I peel and portion
A tangerine and spit the pips and feel
The drunkenness of things being various.

And the fire flames with a bubbling sound for World
Is more spiteful and gay than one supposes-
On the tongue on the eyes on the ears on the palms of one's hands,
There is more than glass between the snow and the huge roses.

Louis MacNeice

and one more, to follow the thread of things being better when one is
alone (hear, hear!!)

As Much As You Can            by C P Cavafy

Even if you can't shape your life the way you want,
at least try as much as you can
not to degrade it
by too much contact with the world,
by too much activity and talk.

Do not degrade it by dragging it along,
taking it around and exposing it so often
to the daily silliness
of social relations and parties,
until it comes to seem a boring hanger-on.

the 5% nation of choclatey-delicious...........................