Sinister: No, I'm a frayed knot

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Wed Nov 25 03:17:57 GMT 1998

Dear sweet lord!  Is there anyone on this list whose fingers aren't
about to fall off?!  I got five digests while I was at work, and I
started getting worried...what could possibly have all the little
sinisterines in such a flurry?  Mick gets a cold sore?  Stuart's arms of
sex fall off?  Isobel shaves her head?  Rumors of the re-release of
Tigermilk really being a *remix* of Tigermilk?  But no, it was just some
harmless smooching in the stock room.  Which God knows I'm all for.

Everyone's been in a bad mood lately.  It happens to music fans this
time of year.  Nothing good's coming out.  I'd be pulling out the
sleeping pills too if it wasn't for the imminent release of the Modern
Rock Song EP.

David "Sister" Kitchen said:

> what's going to be said about us and b&s in five
> years? what will they name us? the cardie-wearing-biscuit-nibbling bedroom
> phenomenon of the mid/late-nineties?

Okay, I think David's unwittingly lobbying to be on my list of list
crushes.  First he throws in that brilliant interpretation of "all the
others do drugs" line, and then there was something else that slipped my
mind, and then this.

I could write chapters on this subject (they would be very bad
chapters)...that is that Belle and Sebastian continually ignore all the
ridiculous criticisms of them and just plain do what they want.  I've
gotten really tired of bands that start out great and then end up making
albums for their critics, just because their critics are yelling
"Bastard!" louder than the fans are yelling "Brilliant!".  Belle and
Sebastian are inpirational for so many reasons, but one of these reasons
is that they let themselves be vulnerable, and they stay that way, even
after taking a few hits.  God bless 'em for it.

So with that in mind, can I just say that the "what other bands do other
people listen to" question makes me really uncomfortable?  It does,
because 9 times out of 10, it really means "Do you think you can top my
list of obscure bands?"  There are a ton of million-sellers on my
"favorites" list...Fiona Apple's album "Tidal", Dave Matthews Band (yes,
I'm serious...I'm not a huge fan, but I have a tremendous amount of
respect for them), U2 and REM (still), and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of
the Moon".  Among my list of "best singles of the '90's", I'd include
"MmmBop", "The Sign", "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" and "Walking on the
Sun."  I also adore Neutral Milk Hotel, Sleater-Kinney, Magnetic Fields
and the Lucksmiths.  But that's not news.  I just thought I'd be the
first to declare my interest and love for current, fluffy, commercial
P!O!O!  And if that happens to offend any punk rock Goddesses and/or
Gods....good.

Outed by myself,
    Reid

Um, just so I don't have to end this on a negative note and feel guilty
for bringing anyone even further down, I'd just like to mention that
Lord Anthony is, still, after about a 100 listens, one of the best Belle
and Sebastian songs around.  It ain't nothing but Belle and Sebastian
sounding like Belle and Sebastian, but it's got one of Stuart's greatest
melodies ever.  I can't wait 'till its proper release.