Sinister: Mullets, duffel coats and others...

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 25 15:57:15 GMT 1998

>But seriously, thanks to whoever did this site, for addressing one of the
>biggest fashion mysteries I have ever known, namely, why do people wear
>these stupid haircuts? I, myself, had a friend who was studying to be an
>architect! And he had a mullet! Now would you let this man design your
>house? He's probably do mullet bushes or something.

More likely the roof to your house would be short at the front and long at
the back.

We all know that we shouldn't be judging people on their
haircuts/coats/whatever, but it's pretty hard not to. My personal bete noir
of the moment are those stupid kappa tracksuit things. I'm sure you
couldn't do any form of exercise in them even if you wanted to, because
they're afr too baggy. Then again, I've never seen anyone over the age of
fifteen wearing one, so maybe it can be excused as a youthful folly. A bit
like the non-matching pink and green day-glo socks I firmly believed were
the height of fashion when I was about nine.

Are duffel coats cool then? I kind of like the idea of them, but I'd feel
really silly wearing one. They seem firmly rooted in childhood and I always
associate them with Paddington Bear. Maybe if I wore them with dummy
mittens (the ones which are joined by elastic running through the arms of
your coat) and red wellingtons it would look like some kind of ironic
fashion statement a bit like the people who wear the dodgy NHS-style
glasses I used to hate wearing when I was little. I think I'd end up
looking even more silly with a duffel coat, though... maybe girls would
look good in them in a twee kind of way. Anyway, I digress...

				Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,