Sinister: mullet in your head

Martin Horsfield mart at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 26 01:20:20 GMT 1998

I've thoroughly enjoyed the mullet conversation myself. About two years
back, I was discussing ith some friends whether it would ever be
possible for anyone to make moustaches fashionable again. Sure enough,
some weeks later, there was Shaun Ryder on the front cover of the NME
with a full-blown muzzie. So, it's down to you Shaun. Have you got what
it takes to squeeze into a pair of acid wash jeans and a cap sleeved T-
shirt and make the mullet rock again? Personally I reckon everything's
poosible in the self-referential world of pop. I saw Hugh Pooh Stick
wearing a Boston T-shirt at a festival once and he looked immediately
like the coolest person on earth. Of course, a mullet revival really
would be irony gone mad...

Unfortunately, the bus stories seem to have petered out just lately. But
if anyone wants to read a good book written by a bus driver, no less,
let me reccommend Magnus Mills' 'The Pursuit Of Beasts'. It's a really
deadpan, whimsical short story; the kind of thing that Will Self used to
write (without his relentless pseudery).

Lastly, did any listees see Velocette last week? Though their pop suss
is sometimes undermined by rampant effects pedal abuse, their singer has
the shiniest hair in pop. A Timotei endorsement must surely follow.

PS/ To Fluffy Candarel: I know all about the horrors of Preston, it's
the town of my birth, but lay off Chorley; it's the land of 1,000 pubs,
you know. Fair enough, if you want to drink among the over 16s, you have
to look further afield but, hey, that's a matter of taste. As for
Elephant & Castle, though I enjoy living here, its psychedelic pink
shopping centre makes your Fishergate and St George's look like Vegas.

Martin Horsfield, pisces