Sinister: Arab Strap Interpretations

Aranzazu Sanz-Garcia pcxas at xxx.uk
Thu Nov 26 12:50:31 GMT 1998

Hi again!

Katerina Karlsson (is your name right?) asked if anyone had any idea about
what 'The Boy with...' meant. I was just about to ask exactly the same
when I read her posting, and have been thinking about the issue these two
latter days without achieving any results, must be said.

All those references about 'prison', 'smoke and squalor is not your style'
..etc are enough to feel inmersed in a sordid underworld from our heroine
struggles to escape .But in the end, she is lying in bed with this non
scrupled , filthy guy again, because she gives up and regards there is no
anyone different for her.But the lines about speaking out what troubles
your mind make me strayed, and I am afraid my trying is totally useless.
Sorry K.K. ! your dream about the doll was lovely, I would like to have
dreams like that...

However I believe I had some B&S dream tonight, and I could remember it
when opened my eyes, but now I just have the impression.It's quite likely
as I was too excited and nervous, couldn't sleep, though my eyes were so
tired of reading 'Birthday Letters' by Ted Hughes, and I was listening to
Tigermilk (that I had just been given yesterday evening by our own
laureate poet Robin Stout) and the Radio Sessions like four times.

By the way, there is a poem in 'Birthday Letters' about a fox, which was
offered by some travelling seller to the Hugheses in a London tube
station. Sylvia wanted to get it and Ted, always playing the sensible role
of they two, refused, thinking of how much of a hassle it would be to
bring up a fox cub in a flat in London ,with two kids, and Sylvia was
hugely dissappointed. The fox cub is transfigured in a metaphora of their
so different ideas about life, and Hughes reflects upon the fact if he
could have saved her if he had handed over a little, if he had
bought her the
beautiful fox with hazel, smirky eyes, everything could have still changed
So, yes, probably foxes work well as symbol of harassed, isolated people
in trouble with themselves and because of that bringing trouble to another
ones.

Sorry for this long and melancholic message. I would like to do something
pretty, but I wonder if I still can

Arantxa