Sinister: Belel & Sebastian for the heartbroken?

Alexandra Duric ajduric at xxx.com
Thu Nov 26 14:30:09 GMT 1998

hello listees,

Right then, this is one of those delicate subjects, where you either
really get it and your heart stands still for a split second, or you
really don't have a clue and hit delete.

A co-worker, don't know her too well, but nice emotional Piscean girl,
with OK taste in music (haven't had a chance to introduce her to the
wonderful world of B&S) phones the other night, sobbing, because a
boyfriend of SIX years did the unceremonious, classic telephone dump the
other night.  They had plans to get engaged in March next year.  He
visited her this weekend and decided during the tain ride home to do
this.  No, no, no, we're not looking for boy-bashing - much, much too
easy.

This morning she declares that Radiohead's OK Computer and Nick Hornby's
High Fidelity are NOT exactly the most uplifting listens or reads whilst
bogged down in this mental state, unless you really want to wallow in
self-pity.  She's utterly heartbroken and constantly on the verge of
tears.

I've noticed listees casually mentioning finding solace in the music of
Belle & Sebastian and I'm wondering if I give her one of the albums,
IYFS or TBWTAS, if maybe I'll be pulling her down even further, a fate I
don't wish to tempt (believe me, this is the worst I've ever seen, and
"suicidal" flickered into my head).  Other than "wise" words, and an
open ear, music is the only other thing I've turned to.  Unfortunately,
or fortunately, all my B+S listening experiences have been rather happy,
so I cannot tell if I'll be doing the right thing.

And if not B+S, then who?

alexandra,
at my wit's end trying to help a friend