Sinister: NEW WWW ARCHIVES AND SEARCH

Honey honey at xxx.net
Thu Nov 26 18:39:00 GMT 1998

There's a completely new format to the archives and searching on the
WWW site: I've just made it live, so please go off and take a look
and let me know.  It's all been done from scratch, and is my sole
achievement of the last two months, so at least smile politely, give
me a lolly and pat me on the head, even if you think it's not much of
a testament to a recently inside-the-house life.

You should take this effort on my part as notice that a failure to
use the Search and Archives now, on the grounds of laziness, isn't
funny anymore.  I've spent some time on this, and I really hope it's
useful to you all.  There have been too many questions asked recently
that have been answered 30 times already, and it just leads to the
list skating downhill fast, and recently me getting sad enough to not
want to bother running this anymore.  The WWW site should be your
first port of call before your email program, and if it doesn't
appear that way from what you post, beware the almighty unsubscribe
message from the sky, and a permanent ban.  And I'm too tired to deal
with appeals.

And that Stuart Murdoch can watch it too.  Crikey he isn't even
subscribed :)

Go to the "Archive" and "Search" links from the main page,
http://www.majordomo.net/sinister, and expect to see the
following:

 o  the monthly archives now split into pages, 100 mails per page, to
    make them quicker to download;

 o  indexes sorted by subject, date and authors;

 o  custom imitation rolled-gold bathroom taps and lavatory handle;

 o  a vastly speedier search tool, so quick that I believe there's
    black magic afoot, and am checking the house for funny smells;

 o  lots of different ways to run complex searches, so you too can
    find out "what that French song Isobel sang was".

The Search is pretty customisable now, and if you're ingenious you
can find just about anything you want, quickly, that's ever been
posted to the list. If you're *not*, well, you can still have some
fun putting in rude words and seeing what you find.  If you don't
want to use the options, just enter the word or phrase you want and
hit return.  Bear in mind it will only by default match *complete*
words.

If it all goes wrong, you'll find me blubbing in a corner somewhere,
but it looks OK so far.

As far as list content recently has been discussed: I won't send on
the very nasty mail I composed last night now, but it's kept in
reserve under my mattress, if bad 'uns on the list still don't seem
to care enough to put some thought before they hit send.  It's sort
of like the big red button on Homer's control panel in Sector 7G, and
when it's pushed down it doesn't come up again.  I'm honestly pretty
convinced, after putting some time into my appeals for sanity and
seeing them ignored, that some of you don't give a damn at keeping
this list alive and you're ruining it for the rest of it.  So you
will be removed.

Honey xxx