Sinister: He who posts last shall be first

Caleb J Rudd rudd_caleb at xxx.com
Fri Nov 27 17:58:41 GMT 1998

Afternoon all. I?ve come out of hiding for my first real post, but will
whip straight back again. Not as you might suspect, for fear of a barrage
of mud--slinging and recrimination, but as I will lose regular e-mail
access (change of Jobs). From now on you can mail me at poplad at hotmail.com.
Yes the address is embrassing, but indiekid and popkid were already taken.

As mentioned by the Tagster I was in the Manchester region last weekend,
staying with the delightful Mr and Mrs Warrander John. Well I think it was
the real TAG? Or was it the more ample troused doppleganer? Well I didn't
like to stare but can say he was the Uncut one. Perhaps if I had more time?
Manchester though suitably grey and menacing, charmed me with it's air of
laidbackness and Smiths references. On  Saturday at the record fare we did
blend in well with the annorak brigrade, although not knowing my nothern
from any other pole soul, I made do clutching second hand indie seedies
(David Devant, Boo Radleys, Suede, Tiger, if your interested, which I'm
sure you all are) and live recordings of  rather dubious quality. I also
spied a few copies of the bootleg Tigermilk CD, and hissed at the stall
owners. These seemed to be copies of the other TiggaMilk bootleg doing the
rounds in certain Manchester record shops, proving that there is indeed
honor among thieves. That night the Warranders introduced me to the
splender of Smile at the Star and Garter. Three Belle & Sebastian tunes
were played, including Boy with the Arab Strap and String Bean Jean. I was
assured three songs was a lower than average figure, and the rest of the
night was  pop-porri of northern soul, indie and eighties delights. There
was a girl who was a dead ringer for Rollergirl there, all golden locks and
milky skin. I told her she looked like Heather Graham (Rollergirl). "Who?"
she replied indignantly and I shuffled away. No matter, she didn't dance to
B&S either.

Much of the time at the Warranders was spent listing to records from the
greats like Jacques Breil, Scott Walker, Serge Gainsbourg and Momus and
watching 60s music shows. I can't tell you how gutted I was, realising I
was born a generation after the likes of Herman's Hermits topped the pops.
Fate I curse thee.

Wednesday night saw a large number of listees attend the illustrious Bull &
Gate at Kentish town for a feast of Fortuna pop. I missed Kato, who were
reportedly Spacemen 3/post-shoegazing ish but did spy John Simms (a band
not a man) doing a good impersonation of Stereolab, Sportica playing the
buzzcock power-pop hand well, Aeroplane girl, who despite looking like a
Bis tribute band were much more eclectic, with echoes of Pavement and the
Pastels. I should mention that on the tube home a guinessed up Trousers
liberated an Alanis Morrissette advert. How does it look on your prison
wall, Trousers?

Finally, bad news for fans of the rather fine Australian pop group The
Earthmen (i.e. The Warranders and myself). After about six years and one
full album together it appears they are going their seperate ways, after
the release of a final EP. Hopefully the parts will be more than the sum.

See you on Sunday at Lady Ps, London boyos and girlos.

-x Caleb x-

"Baby I've been waiting for you, in the housing benefit queue."
- Jack "Nico's Children"