Sinister: Orifices and (gasp) comments on the new record!

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sat Nov 28 11:19:44 GMT 1998

let it be bradcast from the roofs of buildings the world over: the duke
would fill, and i quote verbatim, 'Isobels' um, orifice' with one thing
and ONE THING ONLY. He also hopes she's not reading this cos he gets
embarassed very easily, poor bloke. He's also a bit sad because he had
to say that he doesn't much like 'The Gate' on the new B&S record very
much at all. Except the trumpet, which is rather fine, but that would be
the Cooke boys handiwork, wouldn't it? Um yeah, issy sounds for all the
world just TOO much like someone  out of Talulah Gosh or Tiger Trap or
someone and although i'm not slagging that per se, i'm just saying that
for me, today, it's not what i want to hear. If the duchess were to hear
it she'd be off on a rant about stupid girly singers, so i'm programming
it out of the playlist. On the other hand, 'I Know Where The Summer
Goes' is gorgeous, as i knew it would be, and if i've been listening to
'Modern Rock Song' in this guise as well as the radio version for a year
now, well that's just because i've been lucky and i'm one of those
elitist few that laugh at all you poor wee newcomers. Ha ha ha. And in
case you wonder, or are really dim, there's 'irony' or something similar
in that statement. Which means that 'Modern Rock Song' STILL sounds like
the Velvet Underground for the new millennium. Sorry for mentioning that
word. You already know that 'Slow Graffiti' is genius cos you've all got
it on the Acid House soundtrack record. It makes me want to explode. And
did you know that Biff Bang Pow! had a compilation LP called 'The Acid
House Album'? The cover was all hand-sprayed paint swirls. It was
brilliant. And who is really responsible for the B&S sleeve concepts? Is
the Symington man under the barrel of Murdoch's big gun or something?
Forced with fear of his Divine empire crumbling under the might of the
Belle mafia to make sleeves which unremittingly look like they once
belonged to The Smiths? I mean, this really is taking the piss. And if
it is taking the piss, well that joke isn't funny anymore. (They who
said the Duke had no sense of humour (or humor) were oh so spot on.)
Even the orange colour is right off of 'Louder Than Bombs'... so with no
official US release, will Matador do like Rough Trade UK did and buckle
under fan pressure? The reverse parallels are too spooky to ignore.

keep the faith,

the duke

WeeJay wrote:

>         Ah, back to normal... The return of the Duke (to quote a
> beach boys song I've had to listen to about a million times) - I never
> knew that he'd been gone (it wasn't me that was rude about him - I
> only said that he'd minced my kitten and filled Isobels' um, orifice
> with the resultant bloody sludge)
'all of our dreams are dying of overdoses'
Tangents On-Line http://www.tangents.co.uk
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net