Sinister: re: white horses

Andrew Dean andrew.dean at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 1 13:52:34 BST 1998

>Sinister: oh white horses, pretty white horses, let me
>ride away...

>Erin Lewis (erinlew at hotmail.com)
>Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:25:38 PDT

>The "White Horses" song Joe Frese mentioned in his post was originally
>recorded by the Trash Can Sinatras as a b-side from the "Cake" era
>(circa 1990). It's a really great song, and it has no female vocal, so
>I can only assume Joe's tape features Isobel doing a cover. Can anyone
>confirm this?

no, but i can deny it. unless the trash can sinatra's single fell
through some kinda of space wormhole thing theirs is a cover. Jackie (a
french bird) sang the original and it was the theme tune to a kid's tv
program that used to air on saturday mornings here in england in the
vein of 'flashing blade' or 'heidi' (ie a many-parted serial dubbed
rather badly into english). it even made it into the charts in the year
it was released (which was late 60s. my copy was taken from one of those
tv theme tune lps which i bought solely for the white horses track after
looking for it for years). the only other thing of note that she
recorded was the theme tune to rupert the bear, later covered by lush,
of course.

the other track that was mentioned, the other version of dog on wheels
with the "backward sample on the end", was actually the same version as
the one that was released just badly recorded off the peel show when he
played it a few weeks before the official release. there's probably a
bit of the following track tacked onto the end is all.

and i should know - it was me that taped it many moons ago (over two
years now). i'd always thought that white horses would be a great thing
for them to cover seeing as it already has many of the things that make
a b&s song a b&s song (those trumpets, sigh). the exact same track pops
up on a tape that THE stu m did for the poetry cafe some time later. so
here's hoping 8)

oh, all this is in the archives btw. along with the answer to this
week's asking of the 'is that a reference to johnny marr?' question.

oh, and one last thing, can everybody turn off the bloody HTML thing so
that their messages are readable to people using the archives? in
netscape it's edit->preferences->mail & groups->messages, the top box
there. thankyou.

xxx 2 (8B

andy

and isn't it 'oN white horses, SNOWY white horses, let me ride away'?

two words to add to the cartoon characters thread: "betty" and "rubble"

trembling blue stars? there are sound samples on the web somewhere in
australia, er, http://www.maths.monash.edu.au/~rjh/fm/ at the bottom of
the discography. but only samples from the first tbs cd which, to my
mind, is the better of the two.

oh, btw possum, it was Ned who has the newt. homina homina homina... xxx