Sinister: come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagi nation

John Johnston JohnJ at xxx.com
Fri Oct 2 09:40:13 BST 1998

>"...so shines a good deed in a weary world."
               -Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

That is a paraphrase of one of my favourite lines in the English
language. I think it comes from the Merchant of Venice and it's said by
Portia I believe...

"Mark how this little candle throws it's beam,
So shines a good deed in a naughty world".

I loved that line as soon as I heard it, quoted by my hugely learned
mother at some appropriate moment.[BTW Isn't great to learn things by
heart - so usefull says my Ma but then she seems able to quote at will
from the complete works of Milton, Shakespeare, Dickens and Trollope
plus Testaments Old and New - what a dame!] And I thought - that's what
I want to do with my life - to shine like a good dead in a naughty
world! What a noble ambition and what delicious language. And for some
reason on the way to a job interview I happened to think of that line
and I promised myself that if they asked me what my ambition was or what
I wanted to do I would fix them with my steeliest glare and say "To
Shine Like a Good Deed in a Naughty World - oh yeah!". Did they ask? Did
they 'eck. They were far more interested to see where I had worked
effectively in a team situation.

Anyhow I'm tired but happy this morning. I did my first improv comedy
show for 4 years last night and it went really well.Hope things go well
for you.

Shine on
JJ
xx