Sinister: A Terry Wogan moment

Kevan Cooke kcooke at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 2 18:18:00 BST 1998

As there has been some interest of late I thought I'd just let you know
what I know about France Gall.

France Gall sang the Serge Gainsbourg penned "Poup‚e De Cire, Poup‚e De Son"
to win the 1965 Eurovision song contest.  She was representing Luxembourg
even though both she and Gainsbourg were French.

A few other songs were written for her by Gainsbourg, but more were written
by her dad.  I bought a few of her records a while back because of the
Gainsbourg connection.  "1968" is the best of the albums that I've heard,
perfect music for a sunny summers day.  When she sings softly it is angelic,
but when she belts them out it all goes a bit wrong and just sounds like she
is shouting tunelessly.

Unfortunately for Keith she seems to do this somewhere in the middle of most
of her songs.

The one song that has eluded me is of course "Poup‚e De Cire, Poup‚e De Son",
however I have just spotted on the Eurovision web site (was that an unwise
admission?) that a double CD compilation of Eurovision winning songs has been
released in the Netherlands.  It's published by BR Music, and the catalogue
number is BS 8106-2.

As well as "Poup‚e De Cire, Poup‚e De Son" it also features such masterpieces
as "A ba ni bi", "Ding Ding-A-Dong", "Boom Bang-A-Bang", and the all-time
classic "Diggy-loo Diggy-ley".

With Bucks Fizz, the Brotherhood of Man, and a double dose of Johnny Logan
thrown in how can you resist?

Kevan
The Eurovision Slug