Sinister: Nick Drake

Paul Field paul.field at xxx.com
Mon Oct 5 10:42:35 BST 1998

Richard Connell wrote:

Can anyone tell me about Nick Drake, specifically when and how he died. I
know he died young and am quite sure it was suicide but don't know how (not
really important) or why (if anyone has any idea).

Nick Drake died from an overdose of prescribed anti-depressants. Nobody
really knows whether or not it was an accident or suicide. By all accounts
his condition was improving at the time of his death, and he was starting
to record new music (as can be found on the posthumous release 'Time of no
reply'). I recently read a biography of Nick Drake, which was well written
& gave a relatively unbiased account of his life and work, but
unfortunately Nicks family weren't keen on the idea, and so the book lacks
their insights and also the author was not allowed to print any of the
great mans lyrics. I can't remember the name of the author of the top of my
head, but if you're interested I shall find out this evening.

To Becky: I checked out your web site, and it's pretty cool. There's also a
photo of you on it, and if you ask me the mystery bloke would be mad not to
be interested. I also noticed your quote from 'Which Will' by Nick Drake -
that p*!$es me off! I plagiarised those lyrics (but I didn't try to claim
them as my own) to write in my girlfriends valentines card earlier this
year. The result: I was dumped shortly afterwards! Romance is the way to a
girls heart...pah!

Love
Paul 'feeling slightly sorry for himself' Field.