Sinister: cover me badd

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Mon Oct 5 19:14:04 BST 1998

Well,

Brad's left (boo!), Rachel's DJing (hooray!), and Peter Miller wrote:

>Eartha Kitt Does Jobbies in Taxis

Peter, I'm sorry that I cruelly raised your hopes, I should have made
it clear, it was only a number one.  It was Tony Adams that did the
other sort.

>Tribute album - I seem to remember a bunch of freaks doing something similar
>for/at Elvis Costello via our beloved internet. Perhaps someone would like
>to get in touch with said freaks to find out how they did it. I think it's a
>terrible idea, but I hope you all prove me wrong.

Thank God for that, I thought it was just me.  Even though Miller
obviously got out of bed the wrong side today, I'm forced to agree.  I
don't want to sound like a cynical old bastard (although that's never
stopped me in the past), and I'm sure the idea was made with the best
intentions, but wouldn't it be better if B&S, and all they represent,
inspired people who could play an instrument to write their own songs,
with oooh...just a little bit of originality, rather than rehash
something someone else did a lot better first time around.  The only
good reasons for doing cover versions are to do something completely
different (some of us are already working on our Gabba version of "Fox
in the Snow"), to cover something Godlike, but relatively unknown and
bringing it to a wider public (like Mick Harvey's Gainsbourg
tributes), or to "take a shite song and make it better", like Saint
Etienne did with "Kiss and ma..."....why are you all looking at me
funny?

Love
Tag xx