Sinister: aka Foxinasnow

Jessica Gockley jgockley at xxx.edu
Tue Oct 6 05:10:25 BST 1998

Hello, my lovelies. This is Jess, aka Foxinasnow at aol, aka the mysterious
overseas stalker of all things Honey. I hope my month-and-a-half-long
hiatus does not put me in the uncomfortable position of being labelled as
one of those newcomers who hopped on board after the new album came out and
thus force me to be subjected to bizzare initiation rites. I have a number
of reasons for being gone so long, but anyway, i'm back now - and Honey, no
fear, i've been watching you all along.

Anyway, i had a B&S revelation today while reading my Early American
Literature assignment! We had to read "Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving
for class, and as i was making my way through the story, i came to a
passage that sounded oddly familiar:

"Times grew worse and worse with Rip Van Winkle as years of matrimony
rolled on; a tart tempter never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the
only edge tool that grows keener by constant use. For a long while he used
to console himself, when driven from home, by frequenting a kind of
perpetual club of the sages, philosophers, and other idle personages of the
village, that held its sessions on a bench before a small inn, designated
by a rubicund portrait of his majesty George the Third. Here they used to
sit in the shade, of a long lazy summer's day, talk listlessly over village
gossip, or tell endless sleepy stories about nothing. But it would have
been worth any statesman's money to have heard the profound discussions
that sometimes took place, when by chance an old newspaper fell into their
hands, from some passing traveller. How solemnly they would listen to the
contents, as drawled out by Derrick Van Bummel, the schoolmaster, a dapper
learned little man, who was not to be daunted by the most gigantic word in
the dictionary..."

I got out my Tigermilk tape (thanks again, Miss Erin!), put on the end of
"I Could Be Dreaming," and listened as the very words on my page were read
aloud to me by the fabulous Belle and Sebastian (which of the girls does
the singing and talking, by the way?). How exciting! Maybe Belle &
Sebastian could begin a whole line of books-on-tape. I would pay to listen
to them read my homework assignments aloud.

I am way overdue on thanking Tara (?) who made me a lovely, lovely St.
Etienne mix tape some time ago. I was out of town when it arrived, and i
didn't remember her email address, and i kept forgetting to thank her on
the list; but i want her to know how much i enjoy this tape. I'm in love
with it. As soon as i come into some more funds, i will be investing in
some of their cds.

Who is going to the B&S show in Philadelphia on the 23rd? I bought my
ticket as soon as i heard about the show. I've been going to the Troc far
too often - Sunny Day Real Estate two weeks ago, and Elliott Smith just
this past weekend, but what can i do when they keep booking all these
fabulous bands?

Love,
Jess

"You're always looking for a sign, but boy you blow it every time.
You hear a voice begin to speak; you ignore it and go softly to sleep"
- Belle & Sebastian

Jessica Gockley | Box 326 Eastern College | 1300 Eagle Road |
St Davids, PA 19087 | 610-965-2497