No subject

Richard Connell richard.connell at xxx.com
Tue Oct 6 14:31:02 BST 1998

Hi all,

I seem to be asking lots of pointless questions of late, so here goes another.
Having brought this months issue of uncut (a film and music magazine, not one
devoted to pre-bah mitzvah jewish boys) and there is a free 4AD sampler CD on
it. There is a song on there by This Mortal Coil which sounds pretty good. Ws
this a fluke or are they actually any cop?

As for comments about other Jeepster bands, I managed to pick up the Salako
album in a second hand shop for 6 quid. Its alright, a bit like the footballer
of the same name, plenty of skill with no real result. Some good
experimentalism (the first song is a whimsical pop song over a prodigy-style
breakbeat) but without the tunes to make it worthwhile. And at 20 tracks its a
bit of a haul, but with a bit of sharpening of their songwriting skills and a
bit less self-indulgance they might become a very good band.

Also got the Beta Band album which is a cracker and no mistake. In a lazy
journalist way i would describe it as Gomez meets the Orb which, thinking about
it, sounds a bloody awful combination but works out quite well.

One final point, does anyone know when the new Boo Radley's album is out?

Sorry for the non-B&S content and general rambling but i am bloody bored at
work and as i've said before my friends have no musical taste so this is the
only time i get to talk about this sort of thing.

I'll shut up now

Rich