Sinister: popscene thurs.

petula twinkle at xxx.net
Tue Oct 6 21:26:02 BST 1998

Hello hello! (said like Bubble)

At 08:54 AM 10/6/1998 MST, Jim Schmidt wrote:
>     yeah, right...i was there last thursday and we bugged the dj about 5
>     times to play a b&s song and he wouldn't...so i wouldn't count on too
>     many b&s songs being played...the best bet is probably to snag posters
>     off the walls...when they had a spiritualized party, people were
>     tearing huge wall-sized posters down as soon as the dancing started...

Well now Jim, are you surprised? I spent 4 months of my life in the Bay Area
last year and knew all the horrors of Poopscene, which, thankfully, I did
not bother with after one or two visits.

Oh sure, some will say it's easy to slag a club or "it's better than
nothing". Are you maaaaad? No, damnit: revolt, resist against clubs who
think that mod means playing one Jam song a week, umm, guess which one!
Where jocks take over the dance floor when the WOO HOO song comes on, and a
bitchy girl walks around selling candy like a cigarette girl, only honey, we
don't want Pez, we want Marlboro Lights.

Don't you find it rather revolting that they're having a B&S promo night,
but the DJ won't play them? Is that not pathetic, schmoozing for free promo
stuff for the sake of it? And where half the attendees will probably forget
their freebies in the loo in a drunken haze, or hock them and the promos
will show up in Mod Lang the next day.

I say you all show up early, take all the posters and stuff and RUN. Find a
pub that will let you play records all night, tape up the posters and start
your own fun. Even better, take your treasures home and have a private disco
in the comfort of your living room, which now looks like the Jeepster HQ
only the posters are a bit wrinkled.

Comrade Elisa xx

p.s. Jim, I loved reading SF Weekly while I was there, lucky you working there!