Sinister: on lurking and not talking

Cynthia Someone csomeone at xxx.com
Wed Oct 7 04:06:15 BST 1998

while communication can be so powerful, I can't say my own
communications are entirely meaningful.   my whole life, the things i
think about are irrelevant to me. Spend ten hours a day trying to look
busy, another 2 in traffic.  My evenings and weekends are escapes for
me. I feel human again, then. But even then, i don't say anything. I
mean really say anything.

I lead a secret life at work, full of emails from sweet people and music
that my workplace laughs at secretly, uncomprehending. British pop,
Brazilian music are escapes for me, partially because they aren't
inspired by the things of America's heartland. And I'm at war with
America's heartland and all it stands for ... I put the jeepster jpeg of
that painting of two kittens at a lady's breast on my desktop (is that
the tigermilk cover or a winner in a contest? it wasn't clear) and one
of the girls made an exclamation of disgust, how sick the picture was.
meanwhile, she spends time laughing at pornographic fetishy images and
retards. She's going to the jimmy Buffet concert tonight. A nice girl
for all that.
 When you're constantly a fish out of water, one needs a secret life,
observant, half-dream, clear-eyed. But it makes me quiet, and unwilling
to share or develop my true self. perhaps i should be braver, but
courage without reason is just foolish aggression, and I have yet to
create my mission.

Cynthia

"Don't wait for it," I said. "Create a world, your world. Alone. Stand
alone. Create. and then the love will come to you, then it comes to you.
It was only when I wrote my first book that the world I wanted to live
in opened to me." --anais nin