Sinister: Strange inner workings

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 7 13:29:30 BST 1998

Jake Reichart wrote ...

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, from the late science fiction
writer Theodore Sturgeon:
"Eighty percent of all science fiction is crap.
Then again, eighty percent of everything is crap."

Which made me think of Kurt Vonnegut and the sci-fi writer he mentions in (I
think) some of his books - but as I've only read Slaughterhouse 5 (if you
haven't read it do so immediately) I don't know too much.  Anyway, I checked
the name of this guy and it turns out to be Kilgore Trout.  This piece of
information is not, I grant you, particularly interesting, but it struck me
that the fish link was more than just coincidence.

Forgive me for my ramblings, but I think I'm still slightly delirious with
fever, and I've been talking to lawyers all morning, and will be all
afternoon.  If you've never sat in a room for any period of time with city
lawyers, I can assure you that there are fewer duller things in life.
Still, my cleverly planned meeting schedule allows me to sit around drinking
coffee between meetings, attempting to spark my brain into life with a
cryptic crossword.

Excitingly, I've been invited to the Groucho club next Thursday, although
again, there will be too many lawyers.  ( I need to come up with a
collective noun for lawyers, any suggestions?)

Yours bored and boring

Neil