Sinister: I'm in a mess, I'm in a dress...

Stephane Buron sburon at xxx.fr
Thu Oct 8 11:26:12 BST 1998

Hi list,

This is just to tell you what I thought about the B&S gig in Paris two
days ago, at La Cigale... I must confess that I thought, before the gig,
that it could be disappointing : La Cigale is a big venue, the gig had
been sold out for several weeks, the price of tickets on the black
market was about 300 francs (30 quids)... And sometimes, french audience
are not very respectful for artists and they keep talking laughing and
drinking during songs... It could have been like the gig in Nottingham,
fot those who were there : too crowdy, too big, too hot. But it wasnt.
It was definitely crowdy, yes, and we couldnt even find a seat upstairs.
So we had to stand on the ground floor, a few meters from the scene. And
the gig was brilliant, once again. They played songs from their three
albums, from the EPs, and they even played some new songs, especially
Lord Anthony... They seemed happy to be on stage, happy to play their
music. And the audience were quiet and silent during these seconds when
Stuart's voice is the only thing we can hear, or even  between two
songs. If angels could sing, they would have Stuart's voice... The
audience were silent and calm enough to make me forget the crowd.
Friends of mine, who are b&s fans as well, have been disappointed
however : they said that if they had stayed at home listening to the
record, it would have been the same. They even said that the band was
too shy, too twee, that there was no communication with the audience.
"No soul", they said... They can say anything, I dont mind. This gig was
magic.
But now it's over. And I'm in a mess. Do you find it normal to drown in
some kind of depression after such a gig? I dont know. I cant help
thinking that I wont have the opportunity to see B&S again... maybe
later, in a year, but it seems so far away from here...
Just a last word to thank all the young, tall, elegant rich kids who
could make it at La Fourmi for the meet-up before the gig. You were very
nice. There were many listees and other french popkids. I wish I could
have had the time to chat longer but I was very busy trying to say hello
to everyone, finding a ticket for Niall and his girlfriend, looking for
David and Katrina... By the way, special thanks to them : it was a
pleasure to give out Jeepster catalogues in the venue with you. I tryed
to find you after the gig but you seemed to have disappeared! Last
special thanks to Niall, to Brian, to Julien, Eric, and, last but not
least, Philippe...

Well, that's it.

Take care,
Stéphane

--
Visitez le Tweeclub sur http://www.chez.com/tweeclub

"I had a job in an office once, I never talked to anyone..."
Belle and Sebastian, Pocketbook Angel