Sinister: Purple Hayes

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Oct 9 11:17:21 BST 1998

All this talk about Ms. Campbell's charm and shy ways - don't you all
realise that she's an ELECTRIC  STORMTROOPER of LOVE?! That's her mum, third
from the left on the cover of JIMI HENDRIX's double album "Electric
Ladyland". Marjorie Campbell, better known in certain circles as Marjorie
Plastercaster, spent the latter half of the sixties making unique limited
edition souvenirs of the rock glitterati. In return, she was given hundreds
of free records, which have gone on to form the backbone of Isobel's
collection, which in turn has inspired Belle and Sebastian in their quest to
brew up the perfect pop hotch-potch. That's the story of the blues, parts 1
and 2.

Speaking of JIMI HENDRIX, I've just been listening to the BBC sessions by
JIMI HENDRIX and his trusty EXPERIENCE. It's not that good really, but I
thought I'd mention it anyway. Well, I like the songs from "Electric
Ladyland", they're very effective when shorn of studio trickery. Alexis
Korner seems like a nice place.

Janine wrote:

So when I dance around, I waggle my butt and use
my arms as wings.  really, I do.

We believe you, Janine. Do you make like buzzy buzzy bee noises at the same
time? Isaac Hayes based the flute line on one of his songs on The Flight of
the Bumblebee, you know. They're fairly lazy, sensuous bees by the time he's
finished with them, but it's the thought that counts.

the welcom return of The Duke included:

i am tired and emotional and listening to Hash Jar Tempo, which i found
today and which is divine.

Do you mean Ash Ra Tempel? They are indeed divine, as Keith can testify.
It's not the kind of thing you listen to everyday, but just every once in a
while it's really good. I did (another) tape of Krautrock last night, and
really enjoyed listening to it for the first time in ages, particularly La
Dusseldorf, excellent stuff, complete with aeroplane noises. Especially
inspiring on "a decent pair of headphones".

That reminds me, in all the excitement over the European dates, I haven't
noticed a single report from Munich or that other place. Didn't anyone go?

Councillor Cox

PS: Reading through this message, it has occurred to me that I may have
given the impression that I don't like studio trickery. Well I do, and
apologise for any distress I may have caused.

PPS: Oooooooon, I didn't know you had a gambling problem! I'm shocked and
concerned, quite frankly. Why don't you have a flutter on a Turkish
cleansweep in the European club competitions this year? I'm going to. Mister
Conneely likes gambling too, if you remember. You could form a self help
group.