Sinister: we are the world, we are the children

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Sat Oct 10 22:34:12 BST 1998

>  >And my mate in America says that lots of people in New Jersey, are fat, so
>  >they must be. That is my reasoning, No offence intended again.
>
>  Lots taken.

Bravo, Tag.... I was really too incensed to reply this morning.   Just when I
get to thinking the world might have grown up some, I always hear this sort of
thing.

Why don't we all just judge people by how they look, or where they're from --
with no regard to their feelings, their interests, their value as human
beings...  What, we fucking burn New Jersey because it might have fat people
living there?  Is that some new fangled "final solution" to some idiot's
prejudice?  Why is it acceptible to go after people who are overweight? Would
you say "Oh, there are lots of black people in such and such a place"?  No,
probably not.  Yet you feel quite justified in saying this?  Someone recently
said to me that going after heavy people is the last acceptable prejudice -- I
had never looked at it, but you know, I see it's true now that it was pointed
out to me.  And it's a sick sick way to be... look at how this attitude drives
girls to starve themselves and vomit themselves to the point of death because
the world has this warped vision of value based on willowy looks.  Imagine the
wonderful people who are driven to insecurity and self-loathing because they
know this is how people look at them.  Imagine how you limit your own circle
of friends by overlooking people based on looks.  Who can afford this sort of
thing?

Oh, rant over....
And hey, I promise not to think the UK is peopled with shallow idiots who
drink too much, based on Kenny's ill-begotten attitude.  Nor to picture you as
Benny Hill, pre-verbal creatures with televisions in your stomachs, people who
walk silly, or  resemble Margaret Thatcher in any way whatsoever -- and I
don't think of you as sharing your future king's desire to be a feminine
hygiene product either.

--michele

--michele