Sinister: Loneliness

Stephane Buron sburon at xxx.fr
Sun Oct 11 12:16:22 BST 1998

Hi list...

I dont want to add anything to the recent controversies (in fact, I dont
read all the messages and i dont remember what you're talking about...).
Just wanted to say a few words about "The Loneliness of a Mid-Distance
Runner". Jessica's asked us what it is about. Well, it's very diffucult
to describe this song (especially for me, with my bad english). The only
thing I could say is this is ace, definitely (I know, it's not much,
sorry...). I heard it twice : the first time was in Manchester and the
second in Nottingham. And to tell you the truth it seems to be one of
the best B&S songs ever... In Nottingham (correct me if I'm wrong),
Stuart Murdoch dedicated this song to Allan Sillitoe, the author of "The
Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner". A.S. lived in Nottingham actually
and he studied at the Marcus Garvey College (where the gig took place).
Once again, correct me if I'm mistaking (duke : is it what Stuart
said?). Anyway, it seems to make sense : Allan Sillitoe is sometimes
described as the English Salinger, and I must confess the character
described in his novel (short story I should say) is rather close to
Holden from "Catcher in the Rye"... and close to many characters in B&S
songs...

Well, that's it,

Take care,

Stéphane
--
Visitez le Tweeclub sur http://www.chez.com/tweeclub

"I had a job in an office once, I never talked to anyone..."
Belle and Sebastian, Pocketbook Angel