Sinister: RE:loneliness

nikolas montaldi nikolas.montaldi at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 11 15:15:59 BST 1998

Hi list,

Stephane wrote on "Loneliness of a mid-distance runner" and Alan Sillitoe's
original short story,can I just ad that it was also made into an absolutely
stunning black and white film by Tony Richardson in 1962.The film is much in
the spirit of French neo realism and earlier English kitchen sink dramas,and
featured the young Tom Courtenay(he has become one of my all time
favefourites since seeing the film a few years back).
Courtenay turns up again in a similar film of that time,"Billy Liar",which
was a source of inspiration for many Smiths/Morrissey songs and was sampled
by retro fopsters Saint Etienne .It is very much like a B&S song,as it is
about a hopeless day dreamer,his various terryfying fiancees,his drab day
job at an under takers and  his one chance of escaping to London  with Julie
Christie.
Anyone who hasn't read Sillitoe's stories or seen the two films should do so
as soon as possible,they are wonderfully melancholic and just the right
thing to curl up with  on a rainy Sunday...

Bye  everyone,

Nik