Sinister: Get On Board with the Double Deckers!

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sun Oct 11 14:20:06 BST 1998

Whilst reading this morning's papers, I noted with interest the "surprise"
victory of the Turkish national football team over once mighty Germany. Say
no more...

Moose poo jewellry?! My mouth is opening and closing, but no sound is coming
out...

Americans? Fat? I thought they were all like the mechanic in the film
"U-Turn". Except the black people, of course. They're all like boxing
promoter Don King. And the hispanics. "Look boss! It's zee plane! It's zee
plane!". A rich mixture of cultures.

Back to our favourite topic: Northern Soul. To my great joy, I managed to
pick up two of those CDs I was recommending to Tall Stu the other day. The
Twisted Wheel Story is pretty jolly groovy, and the sleeve notes are very
instructive. They conjure up the spirit of the times perfectly:

"We joined the queue when some drunken sailors, walking up from Deansgate,
started shouting abuse at the Mods, calling them poofs and ponces. Some of
the scooter crowd went over and gave them a good kicking. Those sailors
would rememebr that night as well as we did but for somewhat different
reasons!"

Heartwarming, isn't it? The music is ideal for parties, Stuart Git.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Shrine: The Rarest Soul Label. The
music is excellent, but at least half of the tracks are only really sutiable
for smoochie dances. I'm sure that kind of filth won't be allowed at
Stuart's party.

Another recent Sinster list mystery is cleared up by the notes to The
Twisted Wheel Story:

"Keith, along with Phil Stables and Phil scott are busy compiling a book
about The Twisted Wheel and it's era that will be available soon."

So that's where he's gotten to, the little tyke! The apostrophe is theirs,
not mine. The same mistake is made throughout the notes, reinforcing my
theory that TRUE northern soul fans are totally brainless freaks with
moustaches and zip-up pockets, and anyone else is JUST PRETENDING.

Those photos of B&S in Paris are really rather good, aren't they? I
particularly like that one of Mad Dog Murdoch treating the bemused French
crowd to his impersonation of Rigsby from "Rising Damp". He must have done
that during the news too, the naughty boy!

Yours sincerely,

Travis Wammack

PS: I'm really enjoying Funkyseb's attempts to brighten the list. It reminds
me of that sequence in "2001" when Hal the computer is being disconnected.
Funkyseb's obviously going through a difficult time in his lovelife, and
it's up to us to humour him. And his Richard Roundtree joke has already
assumed legendary status in Bobby Chariot's Jag and other top comedy
circles.